Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Mary Katrantzou SS12



These are some of my favorite picks from Mary Katrantzou's SS12 collection. For me, there is nothing quite like a Mary Katrantzou piece. They're always an amazing execution of print mixing that I long to be able to recreate.

With that said, it's confession time everyone. I have a problem and I've struggled with it my whole life. I'm addicted to clean, classic and chic designs. I adored the style of Audrey Hepburn and Jackie Kennedy. It took a lot of experimentation before I figured out my body type was more suited to the styles of Mae West or Marilyn Monroe. My mother often told me I dressed way too old for my age or that I was born in the wrong decade because of how often I emulated the 20's, 40's and 60's styles. If I ever tried to go beyond my comfort zone with patterns, things tend to go horribly wrong. Pattern mixing, in a way that's reminiscent of Mary Katrantzou's designs just seems beyond my grasp and yet, I still strive to achieve it. Have you ever shopped for a Mary Katrantzou design? Brace yourselves:


Jewel Tree appliquéd velvet dress £8,300 and Kite Runner printed silk-jacquard dress £2,675 at net-a-porter

I am merely human and not one of the super rich of the world. Therefore, those price tags are legions beyond what I can afford. I got to thinking about it and wondered just where the average person might be able to shop a look that would let us dip our toe's into the pattern mixing pool. It might not be on par of Mary Katrantzou pattern mixing, but let's just be honest, there really are no substitutes when it comes to one of her designs. We can only hope to get near it. These are what I found: 

Faye Fashion Dress Price: £140.00, Livia Print Dress Price: £110.00, Faye Print Dress Price: £150.00


Orange print puff sleeve dress Price: £30.00, Multi print one shoulder dress Price: £30.00, Multi pixel print dress Price: £42.00, Multi stripe/floral dress £14.00


Silk Thornfield dress by Traffic People Price: £115.00


What do you think of these finds? Do you think any of them can be deemed an intro to print mixing? Some of them are quite expensive but once again, Dorothy Perkins had the most print mixing options and they were the most affordable. However, I think Monsoon had options that came the closest to having a selection with really bright tones. More importantly, would any of you consider wearing any of these finds once next spring/summer gets here? Or are you even braver than that? Do some of you have ideas for making these wearable during the colder months without freezing to death so you can be ahead of the fashion curve?

Ciao,
xoxo

{all images of Mary Katrantzou's collection are from style.com}




5 comments:

  1. Multi stripe/floral dress £14.00 - is beauty! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @SymbioticLife - I like the mascara Lash Accelerator, Rimmel! :) And what you bought yesterday? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me it is the same. Birthday: 22,24,27 September, I have a 14 December ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful dresses! ♥
    You can visit my blog:

    http://bimbaymery.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful dresses! We love all of them. They're all flowing and colorful!

    Much love from the SABO SKIRT girls!
    SHOP: www.saboskirt.com
    BLOG: www.saboskirt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete