Monday, September 12, 2011

The Poncho Project


It's design time everyone! I've done some digging and found some appropriate fabrics for the poncho. That was intense. I don't know about you, but when I move, sometimes, my unpacking doesn't go as orderly as I'd like. With the muscle help of my wonderful hubby, we emerged from the attic victorious with my fabric treasure trove. The larger pieces of olive green and magenta pink are a micro fleece. The lavender and denim blue are a brushed flannel. The olive colored fabric is by far the heaviest and largest piece I have. 

All of these pieces were from a great shop back on Bainbridge Island called Esther's Fabrics.  I was insanely lucky about 2 years ago, when I needed to find some material for a project. I stumbled on the shop having a massive clearance week and I stocked up while I could.

Since I have a very limited budget of ummmm...about 0 in any denomination you'd like to use, I really want to think things through before jumping in feet first. Confession time. I'm not what you'd call handy with a needle and thread. On a scale of 1-100, I'm about a 3, maybe a 4 if you stretch it. Since I need to plan this out I tried working up a sketch of the basic idea.



While the olive piece would be far more snugly in winter, I have olive skin so that's not really going to work for me. Besides, taste wise, I just like the magenta better. I think some black or really dark brown toggles would be a great addition on the pink. I don't have those so, I'm going to dig through my button collection and if I don't find something I like, I'll have to dig in the couch cushions and see if I can find enough change to try a thrift store salvage run. I love to have at least one vintage component to an outfit if I can. 

What do you think? 

Ciao,
xoxo

1 comment: