Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Iconic

Ugh! The humiliation I will endure for the sake of my blog. I really hope you guys appreciate it. Today's not so fashionable confession: I was a teenage theater geek.

When I was growing through those lovely and oh so awkward angst ridden teen years, I was watching movies like "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof", "Breakfast at Tiffany's", "Gone with the Wind" etc etc... Yeah, you can tell I was super popular, right?  I was submerging myself with my new found style icons. I, like many other young girls, tried with all my might to achieve the feminine classic silhouette of Audrey Hepburn. She was the first style icon I truly became aware of. Unfortunately for me, I don't have a figure similar to hers and it took me a lot of trial and error to figure that out. 

I still stay true to those iconic beauties of the past and keep a lot of my style rooted in those foundations.  What I'm most curious to find out is, do you think there are any modern day style beauties that can join the style halls of fame with these ladies? Did I miss your favorite Grand Dame of style?

I'm adding a quote for the day for us. It comes from one of the most stylish icons in history. I hope it inspires you as much as it does me.


“It's all about hope, kindness and a connection with one another.” Elizabeth Taylor

xoxo

{Images: Main Image, Audrey Hepburn; Thumbnails from left to right: Ava Gardner, Coco Chanel, Ava Gardner, Grace Kelly, Sophia Loren, Vivien Leigh, Marilyn Monroe. These were an assortment of images from the internet that didn't have their sources listed. If you know of their source, please share the information and I can credit the images.}

10 comments:

  1. I love Audrey!!! She's my muse.
    I love "Breakfast at Tiffany's"! I collect postcards, calendars, wallets, jewelry, handbags and other things with her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right there with you, sister! I was in show choir and everything! I've long been a fan of Marilyn because she had curves and she had real issues that I can relate to. I love Coco for her spunky attitude, although I may not agree with some of her controversial actions. Lastly, I've always loved Bridget Bardot for her amazing style and innocent face. However, it turns out she's pretty racist, which is not cool. My favorite older movies? Some Like It Hot, Le Dolce Vita, 42nd Street.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was such a weird kid in high school. I had my own little group that I hung out with, but wasn't popular at all. I wasn't also very stylish, but kept to my own aesthetic, and people noticed, but I dunno if it was the good kind of noticing. (Like one time, I remember I left my dark roots to grow several inches, and I had "ombred" hair. One popular girl pointed it out and said it looked cute. Skeptic)

    It's only now that I am getting inspiration from classic fashion icons AND watching older movies. I love Audrey Hepburn. She is, indeed, timeless. oh an Vivienne Leigh. So gorgeous.
    ♥ laura
    the blog of worldly delights
    enter my Shabby Apple giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's nothing wrong with being a geek of any kind!

    These pictures are gorgeous. Sigh. Can't stop looking!

    www.chillairandperfume.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for your sweet comments! It means so much! To answer your question, my shirt is silk and I got it at J.Crew (on sale!). I'm beyond flattered that you want to recreate my look. Great blog post BTW! xo www.casualglamorous.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's my inspiration, she truly is ♥ I've always wanted to be as classy, beautiful and thin like she is. She's the image of perfection.

    I love watching AH movies, or 50's and 60's movies in general. I think I was born a couple of years too late... I love how people were dressed those days. Oh my, how fabulous she always looks... Sigh, I wish I was her ♥

    Great post. I love your blog ♥

    XO, Imke

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so funny how there's this popularity craze in American schools! It's nothing like Europe! I was into theater as well and I was even more popular because of that! Weird!
    Audrey is one of my idols! I adore her, not just because of her beauty and style but also because of the person she was. She had such a sweet personality and such a great philosophy of life. You don't make icons like that anymore!
    I also love Coco Chanel! I just posted one of her quotes on Facebook. "Luxury must be comfortable, otherwise it is not luxury." Wise, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are absolutely stunning women! I love Audrey so much!

    You wondered what inspired me to make my DIY necklace in my last post, well, here it is:

    http://www.monoxious.com/diy-tutorial-how-to-make-your-own-chain-harness-diy-fashion/

    Wida
    Missing Amsie Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. amazing choice, great shots of them

    xx
    http://www.moneasywardrobe.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Audrey !!! :) Greetings! Remember me?

    ReplyDelete